Thursday, July 29, 2004

 
Spurred by Ron Silliman's teasers, I've begun "My Way" (all by Bernstein I have on hand now) which is also a book I need to read for an incomplete. His first poem of the book (the book is a collection of speeches and poems), "A Defense of Poetry" is very optimistic, a rational obfuscation shone through to great clarity by the obvious heart of friendship. I guess I think so because of a general tone, manifest in a bounty of asides and  genial connectives ("Taht is," What we have," We have preshpas a blurrig of sense," "Indeed you say," "I don't agree," "What you mean," and so on) and a familiarity with the addressed (Brian McHale) mind's habits. I may be wrong, perhaps they aren't friends, but the feeling of affection, from wherever generated, is very much part of the poem.

I think I also feel a friendliness in how lightly the words are distorted, it feels that he is in this way praising the ability of people of different opinions to communicate through the medium of poetry and affection:

 .  .  .  We
have preshpas a blurrig of sense, whih
means not relying on convnetionally
methods of conveying sense but whih may
aloow for dar greater sense-smakinh than
specisi9usforms of doinat disoucrse that
makes no sense at all by irute of thier
hyperconventionality (Bush's speech's
calssically)."

Is all his poetry this likeable? Curious.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe with Bloglines