Saturday, January 29, 2005

 
I'm sorry for the low frequency of my postings recently. When it's this cold, I don't have much energy for anything other than the essentials, like digestion and playing Uno. But I'm coming out of it, which is good, because I'm going into the city tomorrow for a 'master class' with Eavan Boland, a one-time thing through the 92nd St. Y. I hope I have the stamina for 3 hours of discussion &c, I think I will. I'm pretty sure I will, actually, because I'm looking forward to it. I don't know much about Ms. Boland's work at all beyond the occasional run-in, but I heard her read at a Sylvia Plath event at the New York Public Library in 97 or 98, along with Jorie Graham, Sharon Olds, and one other person I'm forgetting, and her reading was by far the most intelligent and considered. Jorie Graham kind of hyperventilated, actually, though it was still interesting to hear her intonations of what she read (for what it's worth, I don't consider her an Ashbery-lite, she has manifested her own poetic sensibility, at least I think. She stretches perception very differently than he, I think, and with different purpose, also with different confidence in mind).

Little thought for today (which is to say, this is the only one I've had(so far)): practice generates conviction; conviction orders practice.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe with Bloglines